The 74th Independence Day of India was celebrated in Brasilia on 15 August 2020 at the Embassy of India premises. Despite COVID-19 pandemic, the members of the Mission along with their families, Indian community, and Friends of India participated in the event with great enthusiasm, maintaining social distancing and health protocols. Cd’A a.i. Shri. S. Koventhan unfurled the National Flag which was followed by the singing of National Anthem and ceremonial release of tri-colour balloons.
2. Cd’A a.i. read out excerpts from the address of Hon'ble President of India to the Nation and highlighted the various initiatives taken by the Government of India, under the visionary leadership of Hon'ble Prime Minister Shri. Narendra Modi such as AatmaNirbhar Bharat and developmental activities in the UT of Jammu and Kashmir, since the Abrogation of Article 370 of the Indian Constitution in August 2019. Cd’A a.i. underscored the commitment of our armed forces in protecting the sovereignty and territorial integrity of India and their capabilities to operate modern defence systems and equipments, as manifested in the recent induction of Rafale multirole fighters in the IAF. He also mentioned about the rising global stature of India and about the fast increasing global optimism towards India.
3. Short videos of Prime Minister’s address to the Nation from Red Fort containing a message about Jammu and Kashmir and 'Jammu and Kashmir Marching Ahead' were also screened on the occasion. Cd’A a.i. also handed over certificates and prizes to the winners of the online quiz contest organised by the Embassy, on the occasion of the 74th Independence Day Celebrations. On this occasion, he also felicitated Professor (Ms) Reva Garg, in recognition of her contribution to the promotion of Hindi in Brazil and Mr. Abhishek Singh, Teacher of Indian Culture for his efforts to promote Yoga in Brazil. The names of the winners of the Independence Day Essay competition were also announced, as they are living outside Brasilia and could not attend the event. After the main event, a tree plantation ceremony was also organized during which saplings of Neem, Avacado, Mango, and varieties of Rose plants symbolizing the vibrancy of India's Independence were planted in the Embassy. Some photographs of the function can be seen at https://tinyurl.com/yxst9kk6 . The entire event was streamed live on the Embassy YouTube link at https://youtu.be/R7bU82nQIAo .
4. On the occasion of the Independence Day of India, today, an interview of Cd’A a.i. was telecasted on TV Brasilia, where he spoke about India's bilateral engagements with Brazil, developmental activities in J&K, India’s response to COVID-19 pandemic and growing interest of Yoga in Brazil.
5. On the occasion of India's Independence Day, the Embassy News Magazine published an article titled 'India – an emerging global power with democratic values', written by Cd'A a.i. The article can be accessed at https://embassynews.info/india-uma-potencia-global-emergente-com-valores-democraticos/ .
6. Later in the day, as a special commemorative outreach to highlight India's rich culture, philosophical values, and civilization, a video broadcast by eminent Indian and Brazilian personalities including Padma Shri awardee Ms. Gloria Arieira will be telecasted on Embassy's YouTube Channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTAUaQPy8nziEUnCues7bFg ).
15 August 2020